Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Live on Tour.

On Monday afternoon, I flew to Atlanta for an evening dinner and all-day Tuesday meeting with some of my new colleagues. (See photo to the left for an example of typical Atlanta architecture.)

I don't do that well in cocktail party situations, when I don't know the other guests. Ever since my teen years, I've never liked going to big parties unless I'm in the company of my friends. So, the drinks before dinner on Monday were awkward, but dinner was another story. Dinner parties are easy, because you're there, sitting at table, everyone thrown together. There's none of this having to march up to a group of strangers and interjecting yourself into their conversation. I guess not everyone sees it that way, huh?

The next day's meeting went well, although I can't shake the feeling that I have no clue what's going on. There were moments when I thought, "You people might as well be speaking Chinese, for all I understand." I'll get over that, though -- eventually.

From Atlanta, I flew to Orlando, where I am now. I'm here at Disney World for a department conference. My family and I visited a couple of years ago, and before that, I'd never had any desire to come here. In fact, I'd actively resisted the idea for a long time. Once we got here, of course, a good time was had by all, but it's weird being here solo. It just makes me miss my kids.

4 comments:

Misplaced said...

It sounds like they are asking way too much of you already. Quit that job!

K. said...

Sometimes you write things exactly like i think and feel to the point it creeps me out a little bit. that 2nd paragraph - 100%.

I hate Florida, but the place in FL I hate the very most is Orlando. Poor you having to be there at all. but being there alone as a 40 year old?? that, is completely weird!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Florida is too flat and sticky to be there without children.

Anonymous said...

you didn't get trapped in the Magic Kingdom did you?