Sunday, February 24, 2008

LDP's 115th Bob Dylan Dream.

I don't often remember the details of my dreams, but when I do, I make a point of telling everyone about them, even though I know that kind of thing can be excruciatingly dull. This one should be no exception.

In last night's dream, I was sent up on a stage to replace an AWOL Bob Dylan. The setting was a small club, the kind of place he hasn't played in 45 years. He was missing, and my friend Steve insisted that I not only replace Dylan, but pretend to be him, too. The lighting in the smoky club was dim and the air, damp.

After much cajoling, I agreed to do it, but only on the condition that Steve write all of the necessary chord changes on the neck of the guitar. I think I was vaguely amused by this even as I dreamt it, because in real life I barely even know what the phrase, "chord changes" means. He said he would, and I went backstage to prepare.


Moments later, I heard the announcement, "Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Bob Dylan!" I swaggered out onto the stage and things looked good until I spotted my guitar. Although my friend had kept his end of the bargain -- the chords were right there on the neck, as agreed -- he'd written them on one of those very cool National Steel Guitars. The sight filled me with dread and panic.


Honestly, I woke up in a sweat. What does it mean, doctor?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing coincidence but I just walked by a tv with Glenn Beck blabbering about something. I thought that whatever you think of Rush, Ann, et al., they at least put on a show. Glenn Beck looks like a roadie that gets shoved on stage when the headliner OD's.

Maybe you're turning into Glenn Beck.

Misplaced said...

I would only be worried if you were filling in for Lover Boy or Wham. If you do fill in for Wham make sure you wake me up before you go go- I ain't planning on going solo.

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for him to get back to the small clubs. Isn't it weird how in the panic dreams you never see a real outcome? They always end in the climax.