Friday, August 8, 2008

I and I

As soon as we got across the bridge from the Florida mainland, we pulled into the Sanibel visitors' center. In the parking lot, I saw this:


True, it's a van, but it's not just any van. It's a van with this bumper sticker:


Chances are this means nothing to you, and the truth is, it should mean nothing to me, either, but it's the logo of a Cincinnati band called The Modulators, who have been around so long that they played at a high school dance I attended (the condom is still in my wallet, by the way) when I was maybe 17 years old. Back then, they were among the two or three most popular groups in town, and these bumper stickers were everywhere. The Modulators are still around, with some of the original members, no less, but that "next big thing" aura they had, or that I thought they had, is long gone. They're still fun, though; they played a parish festival last summer and I actually danced along with the other doughy, middle-aged locals, and my 6-year-old son, who totally showed me up on the dance floor. The kid does an excellent Worm.

Why does this sticker excite me? Because I'm old, that's why. This fact was confirmed when I saw this:



. . . and I thought, "Well, that kind of makes sense. Marco Polo is a really loud game."

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Crap, I must be old too because I thought, "Hell yeah Marco Polo is obnoxious."

Karyn said...

I have to play Marco Polo in the supermarket / department stores when I take my mother out because she's like, 4'9" and I LOSE her. So here am I, walking around yelling MOM? MARCO! And waiting to hear her flinty little rejoinder, "Polo!" Because when you yell "MOM", everyone with a used uterus answers.

Please don't hate me.

Also, did you get an imodulate bumper sticker? That's the pivotal question.