Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Little Pickle.

The national condiment of France is the cornichon, a miniature pickle. But you knew that. What you didn't know is that the country's cornichon farmers are up in arms about having to compete with Indian cornichon farmers. Actually, I didn't know that, either. In fact, I still don't, because all I heard was a 10-second ad for a radio show. I forgot to listen to the story itself, and when I found it on Marketplace's website, it wouldn't play. I just decided to go with it because pickles are inherently amusing.

Speaking of tiny cucumbers, did you know President Bush made 260 false statements about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and Saddam Hussein's connection with Al Qaeda in the two years following the September 11 attacks? It's true. In all, his administration made at least 935 false statements during that time leading into the Iraq war. What I'd like to know is this: if this country elects another Republican president in 2008, just how stupid does that make us? I suspect the answer is very.

Remember when Larry King had a column in U.S.A. Today, and he'd fill space by stringing together ten or twelve non sequiturs, linking them all with ellipses? That's what this post is. Hey gang, how 'bout that Larry King, huh? I hear he's got quite a cornichon on him.

6 comments:

Cindy-Lou said...

Are you suggesting that Bush has a tiny cucumber?

Must be a reverse ratio of ear to cucumber size, then, huh?

Karyn said...

How stupid does it make us to elect a racist with ties to radical political groups or a control mongering freak with no sense of fiscal responsibility?

Exactly.

I can't help looking at the candidates and wondering if this really is the best we can do.

(Appropriately enough, the first few letters of my verification code are WTF.)

LDP said...

Of which racists and control mongering freaks do you speak? For the former, is it Mitt Romney, whose religion was officially racist until the 1970s? Or maybe Ron Paul?

Control freak? Must be Rudy.

Misplaced said...

If you google "National Condiment of France" you are the 6th item to appear.

Some measure life success through profession/ degrees/ family/ money- I measure it in Google placement.

Low expectations = Happy Life

Karyn said...

LDP, take your pick. There are a few racists (at least one of which is belongs to a faith which still bases itself in racial-supremicy masked behind the shiny term "christianity", as though that makes it all okay), and a few control freaks.

I think it is insane that THIS is the pool of candidates from which we have to choose.

It's completely mental. But I respect the process and I am aware how privileged we are to be able to vote for our (morally bankrupt and terrifyingly dogmatic) political leader.

Karyn said...

Um. Is belongs to? I got distracted by an email offering me a widget to sort my ipod woes and lost my sentence structure. I just needed to try and redeem myself a little here, and let you know I was at least aware of the syntactically distastrous areas of my last comment.
Sheesh. I need more coffee.