Thursday, October 25, 2007

I Pity the Poor Immigrant.

Cleaning out a filing cabinet the other day, I found my first passport, which I got in 1974 in preparation for a trip to Italy with my parents. My wife pointed out that in this photo, I look more like a kid coming to the U.S., perhaps in steerage.

I had several observations: 1) hey kid, nice collars; 2) that haircut looks better on me than it does on Ken Burns; and 3) I was 10 years old and had a little nascent facial hair -- now that's virility for ya.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

atta boy! i think i had a mullet in mine.

K. said...

74?! that's old!!

haha - your wife is right - that looks like something on display at ellis island.

Misplaced said...

Bring us your poor, your hungry, your Beatles haircut.


You were born in 1963- wasn't that the year The Beatles invaded the US? You might want a MacCartney DNA test.

Karyn said...

I just got my first passport. And in 20 years when I blog about it, the photo will still suck.

(I wanted to write more, but those collars keep poking me in the eye.)