Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Notes from Maggie's Farm (part 3)

Last week I wrote "goodbye and thank you" email that I'd intended to send out to my colleagues today, since my last day on the job is tomorrow. I'd written it and saved a draft, adding addressees as their names occurred to me. Unfortunately, after a few rounds of this, I inadvertently clicked "send" one afternoon, and the email went out about 10 days before I'd planned. At least I didn't write anything stupid or insulting, as is my wont, but it must have looked as if I wanted to get the word out so there'd be plenty of time for me to receive adulation and free lunches.

I've been with this company for more than 7 1/2 years, which is far longer than I've ever held any other job. There's good reason for that: of the three jobs I've had since law school, this one was easily the best. When I addressed the email, I thought about that and realized I'd worked with a lot of really nice people over the years. I'll be lucky if I have the same kind of co-worker at my new company.

Anyway, speaking of free lunches, look what I found as I cleaned out my desk! Who's hungry? (Sorry, gizzards available only at select locations.)

6 comments:

WestEnder said...

I am reminded of a Bizarre Foods episode when Andrew Zimmern tried skewered chicken parts offered in a Japanese kiosk. Rooster balls, hearts, gizzards, feet, "the rear", even the keel bone.

He didn't like the rooster balls. Actually he didn't like anything, but especially not the r-balls.

I love that show, though. Now I like to ask people what strange things they've eaten. But it turns out the people I know don't eat strange things.

Anybody here eaten anything unusual?

Anonymous said...

I've eaten alligator, frog legs, shark, and octopus. My dad was in Korea and had the chance to eat a dog but he passed. One of my former students claimed to have eaten dog in Thailand. I didn't witness it but it sounded like the set-up my dad described.

Misplaced said...

That's the tease. I ran to my neighborhood KFC- handed the kid the coupon and he told me that gizzards are only for selected locations and that was only a ploy to get me in the store. Then he called me a "bitch ass punk."

Congratualtions on moving onward and upward. I hope your mullet is progressing nicely- be patient.

LDP said...

Mark, I've eaten alligator, frog legs and octopus. I also ate caviar twice and hated it, which could very well be a sign of my philistinism. I wonder if rooster balls are considered high brow?

Misplaced, you gizzard-eating punk ass bitch, thanks for the well wishes. My mullet really is growing in well, and ahead of schedule, but I'm not going to frost the tips until it's just right.

K. said...

I love gizzards.

My first "real job" (not babysitting kids at the country club pool, or teaching tennis lessons to 5 year olds) was in the kitchen at our neighbor's restaurant and bar. It was called "Chicken in the Rough" -- I wore a hat with a rooster golfing. I also got a free meal of whatever i wanted from the menu. On a dare, i got gizzards once. Then, I regularly ordered them by choice for years to come. In fact, I might stop by the restaurant for dinner tomorrow since I'm home. ;-)

Karyn said...

Holy crap, that's funny about your accidental-email.

And gizzards. Well. Them's good eatin'.